Harvest of Change, The Des Moines Register/Gannett Digital, 2014. Producer on team with Mitch Gelman, Ray Soto, Dan Pacheco, et al.
- Edward R. Murrow Awards. “Harvest of Change,” the first Oculus Rift-based virtual reality project by a major news organization, received a Murrow Award for Use of Video.
- National Press Foundation Awards. Best Use of Technology in Journalism.
Behind the Bloodshed: The Untold Story of America’s Mass Killings, USA TODAY/Gannett Digital, 2013. Team with Paul Overberg, Meghan Hoyer, Jodi Upton, Juan Thomassie, Destin Frasier, et al.
- National Headliner Awards. First place, Journalistic Innovation (team).
Ghost Factories: Poison in the Ground, USA TODAY, 2012. Team with Alison Young, et al.
- National Academy of Sciences. Online winner, Keck Futures Initiative Communication Awards.
- Gerald Loeb Awards. Online winner.
- Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University Awards. Silver baton.
- Barlett & Steele Awards for Investigative Journalism. Silver Award.
- Associated Press Media Editors, Journalism Excellence Awards. First Place, Digital Storytelling and Reporting.
- Hillman Prize for Web Journalism.
- Casey Medal For Meritorious Journalism. Runner-up, multimedia.
- Editor & Publisher, Eppy Awards. Finalist (team), Best Investigative/Enterprise Feature on a Website with 1 million unique monthly visitors and over.
Investigative Reporters and Editors. IRE Service Award, 2012. For making Census 2010 data easily available to IRE member-journalists. With Paul Overberg.
Trouble on the Tray, USA TODAY, 2009. Team with Blake Morrison and Peter Eisler.
- Education Writers Association, National Awards for Education Reporting. First Prize, Investigative Reporting (Large Media)
- Association of Food Journalists, First Place, Best Newspaper Special Food Project.
First Year in College is the Riskiest, USA TODAY, 2006, with Robert Davis.
- Missouri Lifestyle Journalism Awards, First Place, Consumer Affairs.
Park Safety Rules Lax, USA TODAY, 2000, with Gene Sloan.
- Missouri Lifestyle Journalism Awards, Finalist, Consumer Affairs.
The School Construction Divide, USA TODAY, 1999, with Tamara Henry.
- Education Writers Association, National Awards for Education Reporting. Special Citation, News Feature or Issue Package
- The Association of Education Publishers, Distinguished Achievement Award Finalist
The Center for Education Reform. Excellence in Journalism Award, First Place (team), for Learning Curve I: A Yearlong Poughkeepsie Journal Project, 1997.
New York State Associated Press Association Writing Contest. First Place, Business/Finance, 1995, for Cirrus Logic.
Company: USA TODAY Enterprise All-Star Team member (1999, 2000); Employee of the Year, Poughkeepsie Journal (December 1989).